May Day (May 1st) is celebrated in many places around the world. The traditions and stories surrounding May Day vary from place to place. There is, however, one thing that is similar in most celebrations - the use of Flowers! One of the most popularly known May Day traditions is to hang a basket full of spring flowers and/or other small gifts on a neighbor's doorknob. The trick is you don't want the neighbor to see you! If you get caught, you are supposed to get a kiss.When I was in elementary school May 1st, or May Day, was such a fun day. We would make May Day baskets in school to give to a neighbor (or in my case my Grandma). After school my Dad would drive me over to my Grandma's house for a visit. I would run to the front door, hang the May Day basket on the door knob, ring the door bell, and run around to the back. My goal was to be inside before my Grandma answered the door so she "wouldn't know" who gave her the May Day basket. I don't think I ever got caught: I thought I was so cool because Grandma never "figured it out." She always acted so surprised and made such a big deal out of this May Day basket, which in turn made me feel like I was on cloud nine!
One more story because I just thought about it:
When my brother and I were little we spent quite a bit of time hanging out at Grandma's house after school and during the summer. She was always so much fun. She couldn't drive so we would have to come up with creative things to do around the house. One of these ideas we had involved a chair and an American Flag. My brother and I loved to sing the National Anthem and we loved it even more when Grandma sang it for us. So, we would pull out a chair from the kitchen table and have Grandma stand on it, (pretending to be the Statue of Liberty) we would then hand her the American Flag and she would wave her arms and sing the National Anthem for us. She was the best! I miss those days but am so thankful for the memories!

4 comments:
How fun! What wonderful memories you have. We never really did anything for May day, and we don't now either. It's always nice when May comes though, because it means school is almost out! :)
Ok, those stories were so much fun to read!!! What a fun post! Thanks for sharing!
i always forget about may day. but what a fun day! and okay, seriously, such cute stories!! now i know why you would grow up and do such fun things like color hugo with a highlighter! :). ha! love ya lots...m.e.
Ahh yes...the national anthem, those were crazy fun times!! I miss those times...oh well!!
Post a Comment