04 December 2008

Reality Check...

Sometimes I think I get too caught up in what's going on in my own life to really take a LOOK at what's going on in the world around me. I get caught up in how we're going to get our basement finished, how are we going to fit this or that in to our budget, oh....I need to go to the doctor because I have a fat lip(an allergic reaction to something) But, there is a world full of hurting people out there and when I think of some of them suddenly, my struggles seem so small and just don't really matter much.

I think about...

The kindergarten boy who has a crummy home life where his parents' friends call him a “freak” and everyone laughs at him. My heart breaks for him.

Reality Check

The pregnant mother of 2 filing for divorce because her personality doesn't match her husband's anymore. My heart breaks for them.

Reality Check.

The single mom who barely has enough money to put gas in her car and food on the table. All she wants is to find a way to give her daughter a Christmas present. My heart breaks for her.

Reality Check

The young girl who witnessed her father trying to commit suicide. My heart breaks.

Or, on a bigger scale:

What about the families who lost loved ones in the Mumbai terrorist attacks. My heart breaks for them.

Reality Check

The child in Nigeria who was kicked out of his home, is now forced to live on the street and doesn't know how he's going to find food for his next meal. My heart breaks as I've witnessed this first hand.

Reality Check

“And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” ~Phil. 4:19

I am thankful for the undeserved life that God has blessed me with. My heart breaks for each of these situations as I feel so small and so helpless. I wish I could “fix” them all but, in reality I can't. I attempt to find rest in my God who is bigger than all of these situations. He knows the names of each individual involved, He hears their hearts cry and He cries with them. God is present in this world full of hurt and pain and He is the one in complete control of each and every situation.

God is bigger than
The air I breathe
The world we'll leave
God will save the day
And all will say
My glorious

3 comments:

jenn said...

sarah i absolutely love you and that heart of yours. there is so much pain and brokenness in the world, and it just hurts. thank GOD HE is bigger than it all. but may He continue to stir you to all this awareness so that you can find comfort and peace in HIM and remind us all that there is a world outside ourselves!!! love ya...m.e.

Jess said...

wow...what perspective! we all need to do this so much more often! thank you so much for sharing and opening my eyes and heart!

Alicia said...

It is SO easy to get wrapped up in ourselves and forget about all of the people out there who need our help. Thanks for the reminder